What's on my work bench

Welcome to NZ120.ORG Forums NZ120 What's on my work bench

This topic contains 61 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Lewis Holden 1 month, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    Lewis Holden
    Keymaster

…and now painting. Main colours are “Burnt Sienna” and “Raw Umber”, usually for the farmlands etc I use Burnt Sienna and for forests I use Raw Umber, some grey for areas where rocks etc will go. I usually use cheap $2 75ml tubes of Artists’ Acrylics.

I’ve painted about 2/3s so far, a few more tubes to go…

Trackgang
    Participant

Making good progress Lewis. Are you coming to see the Te Awamutu show?
    Russ

Lewis Holden
    Keymaster

Aiming to be there, hopefully, have a bit more time and a chance to intro myself this time!

Lewis Holden
    Keymaster

Today’s task was starting to add dirt/grout combination to the freshly painted ground. I brush Mod Podge Matte Medium on the model and then wait for it to dry, a coat of isopropyl alcohol and then a spray of scenic glue – see Luke Towan’s video:

Lewis Holden
    Keymaster
    Lewis Holden
    Keymaster

Slowing coming together… hope everyone’s having a good Anzac Day.

Last night I started adding pine trees (bought in bulk from AliExpress a while back) to the corner module, which will eventually represent a large pine plantation.

Lewis Holden
    Keymaster

Few progress shorts. Work on the forest has been slow, I’m not exactly sure how I want to simulate the undergrowth under the pine trees, I’ve settled on a method Grant Morell taught me using processed sheep’s wool and flock / ground cover. As you can see I’m marking out the holes drilled for the trees, which I add a bit of PVA glue to, before adding the trees.

A few other pics of ballasting progress as well. There’s now only two modules to go for ballasting, both the main station scenes (not pictured), which I should get to during this week.

Lewis Holden
    Keymaster

Hi all,

Sorry about the lack of updates for the past month. I’ve been working on the modules but have hit a mental brick-wall with them. Basically, thanks to my crappy construction skills and poor tracklaying, the track simply isn’t reliable enough to run decent trains on. I can get my DSG and SD40 to do the loop, but I can’t get them to drag any wagons. It’s frustrating as hell.

I started building the modules when I lived in Upper Hutt with the expectation that they would have to be moved around a lot. My thinking was I could display them at shows etc. I didn’t factor in they’d be in a shed semi-permanently.

I’m inclined right at the moment to trash the whole lot and start again. I don’t really want to sell it as is. Which leaves me in a predicament. I don’t really want to start all over again. I’ve got a whole heap of NZ120 wagons, mainly incomplete, some NZ120 locomotives, and other bits and pieces.

Greg0507
    Participant

What exactly is the issues with the track work reliability? Lack of traction? Uncoupling? Derailing? It’s a shame cause they are coming along nicely. I’m guessing as a result of using the module ends, you’ve used code 55 track.

Unfortunately if you are looking at a near permanent layout using the code 55 is not the greatest. The argument for code 80 being oversize really only applies in actual N scale, and code 80 is FAR more reliable. I’ve used code 80 myself, and as long as your locos and rolling stock are regularly serviced (wheels balanced, cleaned, etc…) you can get near bulletproof running.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by Avatar Greg0507.
    Lewis Holden
    Keymaster

Every possible issue with trackwork. Gaps are too wide, too lumpy. etc etc.

ECMT
    Participant

My advice is to shut the door to the model shed, and ignore it all for a week or two, then see how you feel. I reckon what you have done is great. Your successes with your layout definitely outweigh the negatives.
    So did you use the MMW module ends on all sections of your layout ?

PS Did you do a website upgrade in the last couple of months ? I can’t get anything to come up after clicking on the “Menu” option. Not necessarily a bad thing as it has forced me to use Chrome.

Lewis Holden
    Keymaster

You’re probably right. I’m just really not keen on having to rebuild everything. Yes I’ve used module ends for each join.

On the website issue, have you tried clearing your cache on Chrome? Weird it only happens on one Browser.

ECMT
    Participant

Yeah, after posting the question re. module ends I looked back at recent pics, which clearly show the module ends.
    Sorry, I meant I was having issues using Internet Explorer. The site works fine for me now as I’m using Chrome.
    If you do end up selling everything and going to HOn3 1/2, I would be keen on the module stands. I tried twice to get hold of some of these, and twice the “go to man” was looking into postage. Still waiting to hear back, almost 2 1/2 years later !
    Coincidentally regarding HOn 3 1/2, last night I was reading an old back issue of the Journal that featured an article by Graeme Butler on the potential of the scale.

Lewis Holden
    Keymaster

Cool, I could even personally deliver them, my younger brother lives in Katikati!

HOn3.5 just happened by accident, I was keen to do a model of the Makerua tramway and discovered the easiest way to get locomotives that looked like the 0-4-0 and a W&MR loco was to convert HO / HOe gauge locos…

Lewis Holden
    Keymaster

Hi all,

A while in between drinks. I’ve uploaded a new version of my NZ120 PK class container wagon with a few changes made:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/EF6G6QVA5/new-zealand-pk-class-container-wagon

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 62 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.