What's on my work bench

Welcome to NZ120.ORG Forums NZ120 What's on my work bench

This topic contains 38 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Lewis Holden 1 week, 5 days ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author

Lewis Holden
    Keymaster

Getting there. I’ve put a lighter layer of dirt down for the riverbed, and road, plus did a small bit of ballasting.

The riverbed looks fairly bright at the moment (pictures were taking before the glue set).

Lewis Holden
    Keymaster

A fair amount of progress today thanks to Waitangi Day. I’ve put down a bit of grit, painted over it with an airbrush, and put down some scenic textures river rocks. The next step will be to pour the epoxy resin, as you can see I’ve built the tape “dams” on either side to keep the resin from dripping out…

Lewis Holden
    Keymaster

A bit more progress this weekend. I’ve marked out (as you can see) where the farmhouse will be and started adding static grass. At first a small patch then onto the main hills, which are meant to be some sort of farm… probably sheep, I’m not sure yet. The base is sprayed with scenic glue (Matt Modge-Podge, water and a small amount of dishwashing liquid) and then static grass is added. As you can see a bit of masking was involved to make sure the static grass didn’t go all over the tracks / riverbed and road.

Once the glue had dried I removed the masking tape / paper towels and viola… sort of. A little bit of the grass go onto the riverbed so out with a straw to blow it off, and likewise just by the tracks. But otherwise I’ve managed to keep it where I wanted, there will be another spray of scenic glue to hold everything down once I’ve got all the ground cover in place.

Next steps will be the rest of the ground cover (static grass etc) and then the big pour of epoxy resin to simulate water.

Lewis Holden
    Keymaster

More progress. Another spray of scenic glue on the parts I’ve already done, plus another whole area.

Lewis Holden
    Keymaster

Some more progress… grass now on both sides! The first pick is the bank on the far side of the river I plan to put a road on, followed by an overbridge over the railway line.

Tonight I poured the epoxy for the river. Pouring the right amount of epoxy is the easy part, the hard bit is working out all the bubbles. The trick is to prick as many of the bubbles while the resin is still fluid. I used an old hairdryer to get rid of a lot of the small bubbles. That largely worked, but every time I looked back at the resin there were other bubbles I missed. A little bit frustrating but oh well, the end result is worth it. Once the resin has hardened, I’m going to paint on matt medium to simulate ripples.

At the moment I’ve covered over the resin as it sets so no bugs / dust land on it as it sets… result should be in in the next day or so…

Lewis Holden
    Keymaster

I’ve taken the tape off the front… it looks ok. Last night I painted some matt medium on the surface of the resin to simulate ripples and then used my air brush to “push” the matt medium about. Up close you can tell it’s been painted / blown but from the standard 2ft distance it does look like ripples.

I’m also slowly adding bushes / other details as you’ll see.

Lewis Holden
    Keymaster

Some more details added over the past few nights… trees (found the poplar in my drawers!) some additional plants. Guide rails painted, fascia re-painted with another coat of black. Weathered the track a little too.

Next things to do are put up the fences around the farmhouse, and to the paddocks, add more trees. I’ve painted the backboard a shade of plain blue.

I need to work out how to put together the overbridge next.

Lewis Holden
    Keymaster

Quick update, I’ve been painting wagons over the past few days. But I have had time to add another detail to the module… a fern tree:

Lewis Holden
    Keymaster

A little bit of progress… and a hedge added to the farm house. And the telegraph poles fell apart …

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.