February 5, 2019 at 10:05 am #5078February 6, 2019 at 10:46 pm #5086
A fair amount of progress today thanks to Waitangi Day. I’ve put down a bit of grit, painted over it with an airbrush, and put down some scenic textures river rocks. The next step will be to pour the epoxy resin, as you can see I’ve built the tape “dams” on either side to keep the resin from dripping out…February 10, 2019 at 8:55 pm #5092
A bit more progress this weekend. I’ve marked out (as you can see) where the farmhouse will be and started adding static grass. At first a small patch then onto the main hills, which are meant to be some sort of farm… probably sheep, I’m not sure yet. The base is sprayed with scenic glue (Matt Modge-Podge, water and a small amount of dishwashing liquid) and then static grass is added. As you can see a bit of masking was involved to make sure the static grass didn’t go all over the tracks / riverbed and road.
Once the glue had dried I removed the masking tape / paper towels and viola… sort of. A little bit of the grass go onto the riverbed so out with a straw to blow it off, and likewise just by the tracks. But otherwise I’ve managed to keep it where I wanted, there will be another spray of scenic glue to hold everything down once I’ve got all the ground cover in place.
Next steps will be the rest of the ground cover (static grass etc) and then the big pour of epoxy resin to simulate water.February 12, 2019 at 10:34 pm #5098
More progress. Another spray of scenic glue on the parts I’ve already done, plus another whole area.February 26, 2019 at 9:14 pm #5107
Some more progress… grass now on both sides! The first pick is the bank on the far side of the river I plan to put a road on, followed by an overbridge over the railway line.
Tonight I poured the epoxy for the river. Pouring the right amount of epoxy is the easy part, the hard bit is working out all the bubbles. The trick is to prick as many of the bubbles while the resin is still fluid. I used an old hairdryer to get rid of a lot of the small bubbles. That largely worked, but every time I looked back at the resin there were other bubbles I missed. A little bit frustrating but oh well, the end result is worth it. Once the resin has hardened, I’m going to paint on matt medium to simulate ripples.
At the moment I’ve covered over the resin as it sets so no bugs / dust land on it as it sets… result should be in in the next day or so…February 28, 2019 at 9:45 am #5110
I’ve taken the tape off the front… it looks ok. Last night I painted some matt medium on the surface of the resin to simulate ripples and then used my air brush to “push” the matt medium about. Up close you can tell it’s been painted / blown but from the standard 2ft distance it does look like ripples.
I’m also slowly adding bushes / other details as you’ll see.March 6, 2019 at 4:39 pm #5116
Some more details added over the past few nights… trees (found the poplar in my drawers!) some additional plants. Guide rails painted, fascia re-painted with another coat of black. Weathered the track a little too.
Next things to do are put up the fences around the farmhouse, and to the paddocks, add more trees. I’ve painted the backboard a shade of plain blue.
I need to work out how to put together the overbridge next.March 9, 2019 at 10:27 am #5120
Quick update, I’ve been painting wagons over the past few days. But I have had time to add another detail to the module… a fern tree:March 14, 2019 at 10:23 am #5124April 7, 2019 at 8:01 am #5142
I’ve been a bit distracted by other projects, but I’ve got back to working on the modules. I decided to knock off the hills etc on the other modules before getting in and doing all the other details I want to add…
Anyway, over the last few nights, I’ve done the corner modules. As you can see a lot of polystyrene has been layered up and cut with the hot wire tool. Next step is to put down Sculptamold, followed by a coat of Burnt Sienna to represent dirt… then comes the dirt and grout mix itself, followed by ground cover. This corner module will represent a commercial pine plantation (I brought bulk pine trees off Aliexpress a while back).April 7, 2019 at 9:06 am #5143
looking damn neat,I like the hedge by farm house.great stuff
stuApril 8, 2019 at 11:31 am #5144
Thanks, it’s a brill-o pad cut to size 🙂
House needs more details and lights added etc but I’m pretty happy with it. The back fence still needs to be added, front path and gate, etc.April 9, 2019 at 10:02 am #5146
Got some plastering done last night. Unfortunately, I ran out of Sculptamold, I’ve only managed to get two modules completed. Fortunately, of the last three, two won’t have that much plaster (being more flat farmland and a township), and the corner module has been partially completed. I’ve ordered some more Sculptamold (found a place on TradeMe at a really good price).April 12, 2019 at 3:51 pm #5152April 13, 2019 at 1:04 pm #5155
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.