Trackgang Products

Welcome to NZ120.ORG Forums NZ120 Trackgang Products

This topic contains 40 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Trackgang 1 month ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Trackgang
    Participant

This sunday we’ll get into leveling the layout and joining everything up. Might even clean the track and test that things still go around. That could be a dangerous step though cos we’ll probably play trains and get sweet stuff all done afterwards.

Trackgang
    Participant

3 sundays done. We’ve now managed to set the modules up again and level them all so they join together at the same height. Subtle small differences can make a bit of a headache when setting up at a show so now we won’t need to carry a box of packers to ensure everything lines up. Have put in power feeds on all the point frogs and now setting about putting in polarity switches so that all points have much better power routing and conductivity. Meanwhile on the ‘new’ bridge modules we have reclaimed several boxes of small trees from another display and started experimenting with recolouring and reshaping. Looks promising. Next sunday (25th) is the BoP area get together in Ngongotaha Rail park, north of Rotorua. If you’re in the area drop in after 10am.
    Cheers.

Trackgang
    Participant

Something more visible now happening on the layout today. Started with a light sand and repaint of the sky behind the bridge modules and the original yard modules, to make them more presentable. Then a retouch to the painted bush line on the backdrop of the bridge modules. A start was made on planting the background trees. (Picture 1) These are wire trunk trees sourced from another display and then over-sprayed with camouflage coloring to tone them down. After getting really enthused about the look of the trees I went back and infill the front with low scrub. (Picture 2) So buzzed that we’re taking pictures and the glues still wet. Very happy with the appearance. Also experimenting with some foreground trees as in picture 3.
    Thanks to John for the pictures.

Lewis Holden
    Keymaster

Nice work!

Trackgang
    Participant

A few pics up loaded of progress on the display layout over the last couple of sundays. On the industrial modules work continues on route wiring on the points controls, painting the rail rusty and we’ve added 2 sidings in at the freezing works. over the other side at the bridge modules scenic work continues. I’ve worked from the back scene planting the trees and moved forward. Firstly with ground cover using different grades and colours of Woodland scenic foam, and this weekend started some bushy long grass clumps using 3 colours of Woodlands field grass. Some of these will become toi-toi’s, when I manage to replicate the heads.

Trackgang
    Participant

Back in the shed after a successful Hamilton show. Firstly, thanks to everyone who attended the show and for the positive comments about the layout presentation and progress. Second thanks goes to the operational crew led by John with the help of Greg and Len from Kati and Jolon form Auckland. Great effort guys.
    Today the Tauranga team were back for our sunday get together. After some clearance modifications underneath the new modules were made, the whole layout was once again assembled ready for action. The electrical connection were done and a test loco was circulating once again. Key tasks done today included putting hinge module joiners on the middle of the original curved yard. This also required resoldering one main line track for better alignment. We also had to scrap back some of the new scenery in the industrial area as it was too thick and caught on the loco cowcatchers.
    Now planning to be back to our monthly BopTrackgang meetings. The first will be held on 3rd November at the rooms, and Decembers meeting to be held at the Ngongotaha Rail Park in Rotorua on 1st December.For more details contact me at russell@hdb.org.nz

Cheers and happy modeling,
    Russell

Trackgang
    Participant

Pictures to go with my last posting. 3 views of the layout at the show with a variety of rolling stock by the team. The Dg line up at the loco depot included 9+ examples including original and recab versions. The old goods shed row has now become a log loading area. Variety of rolling stock in the industrial area. How the new modules fit into the second car. And the new hinge joints added to the original yard modules for better alignment of track and secure fastening, during shows.

Trackgang
    Participant

My Rarotongan holiday is now over, but while I was in the pacific I didn’t forget about my modelling. With a selection of styrene, a very basic range of tools and glue, and a bunch of plans, I had some late afternoons that worked well at a table outside practising my scratch-building skills.(Eye rolling by my partner) I’ve not made any rolling stock in nz120 scale from styrene before, so it was time to start, as I’ve got some future projects in mind to work on, that will benefit. I started off make ends and tarps sides for GCT 25 ft containers which ended being more trial and error pieces, but good starting practice. Then, after some pre-planning, a better effort was done making a ZC body. This going well, I moved onto a ZD body using the same construction techniques as the ZC. Happy with my 2 efforts. Will finish these off, now that I’m back, with some finer desired strips of styrene detail. Both are sized to fit directly onto the trackgang UK chassis. Made a start on a side and end for a Zk wagon, but I’ll still need to plan some more on how the parts will fit together correctly and easily. A nice way to spend part of the day in sunny 24 to 26 C temps. Not everyone would probably get away with modelling on holiday overseas, but when I suggested the idea, she didn’t decide to go some where else away from me, so I guess I’m lucky.
    Cheers

Trackgang
    Participant

With 229 members on the facebook page and only 51 on nz120.org page, is there still value in the webpage continuing? I seem to be the only regular contributor to the nz120 page now. Is there anyone out there or am I talking to myself? Otherwise I’ll stop posting stuff on here.

gibbseynz
    Participant

I am one of the lurkers that hasnt posted much. I like following modelling that people are working on but due to money and time restraints while finishing some house rennovations havent been able to do any myself yet but hope to start contributing when I get the time to do some work on my modular layout idea during my xmas break.

Trackgang
    Participant

Cheers gibbseynz. I realise there’s a life for everyone that comes first before modeling, and that’s how things work in the real life, unfortunately. For me I think I’ll be concentrating my social media time on the Facebook page from now on, and not duplicating on here anymore. That will save me time as well, to do more other stuff. To the admins, the page has a lot of value in the past treads and old page links so 1/ – I hope the page isn’t closed down, or 2/ – if it’s decided to close down, please find a way for people to continue access to the old threads first. It’s all been a good resource for modelers, and too valuable to lose.

Cheers and thanks,
    Russell

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.