Trackgang Products

Welcome to NZ120.ORG Forums NZ120 Trackgang Products

This topic contains 34 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Trackgang 12 hours, 54 minutes ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Trackgang
    Participant

Whats happening in the Workshop – February 2019.

Castings received for another batch of 88 seat railcars and ‘grass grubs’ in nz120 scale. Let the bagging up commence.
    Been trying to work on some of the outstanding rolling stock builds I have to do.

nz120:- Adding a few more kits into stock 29/01 – La, Lc-2 and Lc-3, Ks and Usb.

Upcoming shows we are attending are:
    Te Awamutu Show 27/28th April 2019.

Look forward to seeing the modelers once again.

Cheers, to you all Smile

Russell Jones

Trackgang
    Participant

Waitangi Day. Out at my mates place and we spent today building the extra legs needed for the 4 module extension to the layout.

Trackgang
    Participant

After screwing and gluing on the table tops of plywood to two modules last week, today I trimmed the tops to frame size and then sanded them down. Its been such good weather, so I continued by painting the undersides with primer in the afternoon. This evening, that was all touch dry, so I spun the modules around and painted the tops as well. These two table tops will make an industrial/urban area as an extension to the left end of the existing yard (for those who’ve seen the modules on display, you might understand). The double main track with flow across the modules and each mainline will have a long passing loop. As well I might fit in a double crossover between the mainlines. This will be totally isolated electrically, but allow to roll train from the inner to outer circuit or vice versa. From the inner loop I’ll run an industrial line off to serve several industries and also a feed through the backdrop to a fiddle/staging area as space permits. Once the paint is dry I can put the modules on legs and line them up and play with some track locations before laying down the cork tile roadbed. Must take some more photos. I’ve created a photo album on the nz120 Facebook page with the progress of the layout since I first started it with some notes on how I made things.

Trackgang
    Participant

Planning out the track work. Double track mainline with passing loops. Industrial supply sidings and then holding sidings which will be behind the back scene.

Trackgang
    Participant

Making some progress with the module builds. Last weekend after the 2 yard extension modules were painted, I glued the cork road bed onto the first module and then set about marking out the track locations. Framed up the back scene with 18mm x 18mm timber and paneled some space with hardboard sheet. The gaps in the back scene will be covered by buildings which in turn will cover the point operating cables.
    As well I’ve made a start on the bridge build for the other modules. Using an old model plane assembly idea of pinning the structure styrene pieces over the plan, so I have 4 identical girders.
    Progress is good!
    Russ

Trackgang
    Participant

Progress on the modules has been a bit slow the last few weeks for a variety of reasons, but I have been out and had a couple of chances to collect resources, to continue the builds. Bought more timber for the back scene of modules 3 and 4. Went to Jaycar for bus wire and dropper wire and 10 more DPDT switches for isolating the yards on new modules 1 and 2. I think I may have enough points to do nearly all the yards on these modules as well.
    This weekend has to be a big push on getting the building shapes finished and track laid on these new yards modules, as its 4 weeks to show, and I haven’t done anymore than frames for the scenic 3 and 4 modules.
    Nothing like a bit of pressure.
    Let you know how I get on by tuesday night.

Russ

Trackgang
    Participant

With the assistance of John and Greg there’s been a couple of productive afternoons on the modules. On Sunday track laying commenced. Concentration was on the complete main line and associated passing loops, including installing the cable points controls. Thanks to John bringing some insulated joiners all started well until I realized i had no track pins, so some standard pins were used temporarily to position the tracks.
    Monday and its looking gloomy and wet but I started with sanding and prime painting all the existing timber on the back scene. Warm temperature and dry timber meant it dried fairly quickly. Once again John turned up with the rescue package of track pins, and work in correctly pinning the track carried on through the afternoon, as the rain got heavier. Then the roof started leaking on the modules! S**t! Never mind some plastic bags and then some old pizza boxes saw the end of our efforts.

Russ

Trackgang
    Participant

More work done this last weekend on the new industrial modules. With the help of John, all the wiring droppers are in and the outer circuit bus wire installed. A quick play with a couple of DCC locos ensued as a ‘christening’. More work was done on the internal support for the fertilizer works as well. Then with Greg’s help the remaining cork was laid in the storage area. Greg also delivered my box of new track which I need for the scenic module. Work started on narrowing the frame work to 420mm on the first scenic module. Why? Well this will decrease the size for packing and shift to shows, less scenery to do, and more space inside the layout for operators to move around.
    At night have been working on the Dg bodies with 2 now with the details all finished.

Russ

Trackgang
    Participant

Only 13 days to the Te Awamutu show. Good effort today with the assistance of John. John focused on continuing the wiring install after I bored the holes for 4 switches in the back frame. These switches will enable us to isolate locos on either the main track or loops that pass the industrial area.Meanwhile I got stuck in to building the scenic modules. The pic shows the frames up-side-down showing the drop frame and new leg slots. I’ve also narrowed these modules to 420mm total width, giving a straight back scene along the modules and more walk space inside the layout when set up. Switches are Round rocker switch SPST 6A@250VAC from Jaycar, which I have used on the original modules as well.

Russ

Trackgang
    Participant

Well a 3 day weekend has its benefits (As long as SWMBO is looked after). The scenic modules were prime painted this morning. The pre-made legs were narrowed to fit the modules and then height adjusted to match the original modules. Still had some daylight hours so a start was made on the gorge drop box. After hinge pinning the back of the modules together, the gorge box was made up to slide in from the front. Nearly finished the build part. Pic taken as it was getting gloomy and it was ‘pizza run time’.

Russ

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by Avatar Trackgang.
    Trackgang
    Participant

Well the sun has set and there’s no more time to work on the modules. We have all 4 modules individually operational. Tommorrow morning it all goes in the 2 cars and off to Te Awamutu for setup in the afternoon. Come and see how we did. Shows open on saturday and sunday from 10am to 4pm at the Te Awamutu Event Centre.

Happy Modelling.
    Russ

Lewis Holden
    Keymaster

Great, see you on Saturday!

Trackgang
    Participant

Well I’ve spent a couple of days sorting castings I had received recently. Besides heaps of Lc’s and Nc’s, the pile also included 88 seat rail-car’s. Anyone who knows, these kits have quite a few bits and pieces to sort. So after a few afternoons I have been able to pack away 6 railcar kits and 4 AC car kits. Some of these kits are now loaded onto the web page for sale until I do some more decals and obtain more wheels and bearings for the rest. Should have a couple more AC cars built and running at the Hamilton show in October. An interesting point is that the 88 seat rail-car’s ran on practically every line in the country while the AC cars supplemented all of the passenger trains at their time also.

Russ

Trackgang
    Participant

Have been quietly tinkering away behind the scenes for the last few months working on some model construction for a couple of other people. Firstly a batch of 6 DG’s are coming along well with painting nearly finished on all of them. Decals next then weathering. 3 need Kato chassis modified so that will be the next task. In the painting box as well is a brass etch DC and due to join that is 5 4 wheeler wagons. My custom tank wagon and an LC, 2 x Kp’s and an Xp for another. Made some space at Eddys last weekend where the new modules we built at the beginning of the year are stored. Will now spend some time to add to the scenery and buildings of these modules before the Hamilton show at the beginning of October. Will post some pictures of progress.
    Good modeling everyone.
    Russ

beakaboy
    Participant

a couple of progress shots showing the space reserved for the Trackgang Extended layout on the Mezzanine floor of our large packing shed. Excuse the messy wiring overhead for lights. Our favourite electrician is still to be invited up to fix this issue as well as add another couple of sets of flourescents and a couple more power points. My NZ120 modular layout will be arriving in due course to the mezzanine when I have organised supplies for lining my garage. Sick of the extreme temps in winter and summer and the dampness in the air when it rains. The dividing wall I installed in my garage to separate the layout from the workbench area will also be dismantled enabling me to spread my layout out and avoid the current tight access to certain parts of the layout.Once the garage is finished I will be moving my layout back, hopefully by the start of summer.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.