NZ120 track

Welcome to NZ120.ORG Forums NZ120 NZ120 track

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Lewis Holden 1 week, 2 days ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    gibbseynz
    Participant

What brand and code track is everyone using for NZ120? What is the closest sleeper spacing and sleeper size to NZ track? Planning ahead for hopefully starting an NZ120 layout later this year after years of been meaning to get around to it.
    I was thinking Atlas code 55 or maybe Micro Engineering code 55 (ahtough ME doesnt have many turnouts) but not sure how they compare to NZ stuff.

Lewis Holden
    Keymaster

My strong recommendation from experience is not to use Atlas Code 55. It’s too fine to work properly in NZ120. It looks good, but then remember it’s N scale 1:160 so will be actually undersized for New Zealand track.

I’d stick with PECO Code 55 as it’s both easily obtainable and reliable.

Here’s a good article from Motorised Dandruff:

https://motoriseddandruff.blogspot.com/2009/01/on-track.html

gibbseynz
    Participant

Code 55 is a little oversized for NZ120 scale. A 50kg/m rail is about 155mm high, which at 1:120 scale is 0.051 inches or slightly less than code 50.
    Seems I am going to be looking at Peco code 55 track then. I guess once ballasted and stuff you have to look very close to see its not exactly to scale.
    Now to just finish deciding what I want to model and come up with a design that can fit in my shed.

Lewis Holden
    Keymaster

Yeah there is no perfect solution in NZ120 unfortunately. But then this isn’t really a scale for rivet-counting, to me the beauty of NZ120 is being able to run long trains in small spaces with lots of scenery. That said, I’d still go with Code 55 as it’s the closest as you say to NZ rail standards:

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/_1_-8lda3QdE/SXLQSqDWjoI/AAAAAAAAALQ/yRtfY3zuU7U/s1600/Ntrack.jpg

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.